Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Whatever Happened to Being Happy?

Lately I've been noticing changes. Not just in me but in friends, family and the growing responsibilities facing us. Some of them are good. Some of them are just different. I'll never say that any of them are bad. I do know that I am overwhelmingly confused by the behaviour and attitudes of people alike. And the question begs: Whatever happened to being happy for people?

As University comes to a close for most (not for all, ie. me with an extra year to go) I think alot of us are starting to realize what is waiting for us out there: The real world. Some of us are choosing to embrace it... others it seems only want to retreat back to what is comfortable and familiar and not accept change. As we're all 21, 22, and some about to be 23 at the beginning of the New Year I can't help but feel and notice the level of maturity and responsibility step up. Granted, not everyone is there yet and there is nothing wrong with that. But there is also nothing wrong with being the grown ups that we all are. Because that is what we are. We are adults now. Since when is not wanting to go out on a school night a bad thing? Or going to bed at a decent time? Last time I checked, taking care of ourselves was supposed to be at the top of our lists.

This past year has brought about alot of change for not just me but alot of people, friends and family included. I've taken a change in school, a direction that for once feels good and comfortable. Family problems have arisen and they've been taken in stride, along with some good-natured humour. Friendships have changed, developed, disintegrated, and been rebuilt only to be stronger than they were before. Relationships have ended and started. And all the while there have been people there behind us supporting every step of the way. As the new school year begins I can't help but notice that the support system that was always behind all of us seems to have crumbled down. Since when is it a crime to be happy?

I know that I am not one to speak when it comes to expectations of people, I know that I have high expectations, but they are only expectations that I know people can meet and expectations that I know each and every one of us deserve. Go ahead and disagree, I know some of you will. Each and every one of us is allowed to expect certain things from some people. Honesty from a loved one, respect from friends, support from family. The list goes on. I've noticed a change lately though. Whatever happened to being happy for someone?
I have only ever wanted happiness and security for my friends. If being in a relationship makes them light up inside then I couldn't be happier for them.

That's what counts isn't it? If we don't have happiness, then really, what the hell do we have?

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger YourSecretLover said...

Well said my beautiful friend. I hope you know that I am sooooo happy for you and Ryan. Just don't grow up too fast lovely. I still need you to giggle with me whenever someone says something dirty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home